Early patch box :repair or leave as it is?

Do not post mark questions here.
drlaser12

Early patch box :repair or leave as it is?

Post by drlaser12 »

This light gauge small patch box (2.5 cm in diameter x 1.3 cm in height) probably dates from around 1680 (see Eric Delieb's 'Silver Boxes'). There is an undecipherable maker's mark on the inside of both box and lid. The amorous message seems to reflect the condition of the box: it is more fine than strong.

The lid shows a split as a result of wear around part of the engraving. I can imagine that a very careful repair would improve the quality of the box or......should it rather be left as it is?

Thank you in advance,

Robbert.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Robbert,

Just a personal opinion, but I would leave it as it is. I would only consider having it repaired if the section had, or was likely to become, detached.
Any repair, I think, hides a little bit of the original craftsmanship by the man that made your box.
I think you would lose more than you would gain.

Regards Trev.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Any repair unless invisible would not add to the value of the box and unless you are going to use the box rather than keep it as part of a collection.. it is not worth the expense. Best wishes, Mike.
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

I would leave it as is, but if you do decide on repairs, have it done by someone who knows what he is doing. Send me a personal message for the name of the right person.

Alain
buckler

Post by buckler »

I agree with the two comments above. If an article is not going to deteriorate without repair, or be used, leave well alone. Currently it's in original condition. Even if you want to sell, leave the decision to the purchaser. Currently any repair will alter it - in thirty years time there may be micro welding techniques not available to us that may change views.
drlaser12

Post by drlaser12 »

Thank you Trev,Mike, Alain and Buckler for your most valuable advise.
I will leave this box just as it is .....and enjoy it!

Return to “General Questions”