Crest on Tankard

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
buckm

Crest on Tankard

Post by buckm »

This Tankard was shown on a previous inquiry, I did not know the group here also identified Family Crests. I cannot find this one. Thank you.Image
agphile
contributor

Re: Crest on Tankard

Post by agphile »

The British Armorial Bindings website illustrates a similar crest (out of a ducal coronet a demi bull rampant collared) on a binding for John Smyth (1748-1811). He may or may not have also been the owner of your tankard. It could have been another family member, or more than one family may have used this crest.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

P.S. The John Smyth mentioned above was a well-connected British politician and Member of Parliament.
buckm

Post by buckm »

agphile wrote:P.S. The John Smyth mentioned above was a well-connected British politician and Member of Parliament.
Good Show! Agphile I found the image you mentioned and it is the more than exact to the detail.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

My pleasure. If you want to find out more about Smyth you can find a biography, mainly on his political career, in the History of Parliament Online. It is pleasing to note he was a consistent opponent of the slave trade. In 1778 he married a daughter of the Duke of Grafton. Setting up for family life may have been the occasion for acquiring some new silver. Doesn't prove anything, but a tempting thought.

Return to “Family Crests”