Crest on silver box

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
JanGroen
contributor

Crest on silver box

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
Do anyone recognize this coats of arms found on a silver snuff box? It seems to have a dragon in one corner. Does the crown means it is a royal or Nobel family? I think it is from Austria but not certain.
Groete
Jannie

DianaGaleM
contributor

Re: Crest on silver box

Post by DianaGaleM »

A coronet of nine tines with pearls would indicate a Count. It's consistent with an Austrian or German origin.

If you'll supply a clearer, brighter image of the coat of arms, I'll take a crack at it.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Hatching was used in black and white printing as well as in engraving to depict particular heraldic tinctures (colors). It`s the system of lines and dots representing colors.
This is the coat of arms in color helping the search for counts in Germany and Austria.
Regards
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Hatching was used in black and white printing as well as in engraving to depict particular heraldic tinctures (colors). It`s the system of lines and dots representing colors.
This is the coat of arms in color helping the search for counts in Germany and Austria.
Regards
Good Day
Thank you for helping with the colors. It looks like a combination of 3 coats of arms.Someone commented that the nine pearled crown is used by counts. So maybe 3 counties ruled by one leader? Wonder if the eagle were a black or red one...
At least we know the box were made before 1886. Can it be that the box were made close to where the count lived?

Jannie
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

Yes, I'm aware of how hatching is used to represent tincture. I was hoping you could supply an image that was clearer.

The tinctures are perplexing because a basic rule of heraldry is that you cannot have color against color (or metal against metal). You have the metal gold (represented by yellow) next to the color gules (red) which is allowed, but the gules is next to blue (azure), which is not allowed. This usage argues against this being a real coat of arms.
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Here is the better image
Hope it helps
Jannie
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
Any new clues about this coat of arms? This is the brightest picture I could get. The chest is 7mm x 10mm so it may have been difficult to put in the colour patterns.
Jannie
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

If I understand the tinctures correctly, it is a black eagle on a white/silver background on the top left corner. The bottom left seems like yellow/gold diamond shapes on blue.

Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Take a look here:
http://armorial.library.utoronto.ca/stamps/FIE001_s1
Thank you. So they are gold lozenges on a blue background.

Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, and we agreed on Continental, not Commonwealth usage.
Take a look here:
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=46304
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

The arms have a heavy line down the middle. This suggests impalement, that is, two coats of arms representing the union of the husband and wife, with the husband's arms on the dexter side (on the shield's right — our left). Impalement can also indicate the union of two institutions or other entities (civic, academic, etc.).

The bird is probably an eagle, but may not be.

Return to “Family Crests”