Hello,

Does anyone recognize this crest?

Thanks and regards,
Trevor

nobilityhouse
contributor

Re: Anthony Nelme paten

Post by nobilityhouse »

This is a coat of arms; a crest is the decoration that goes on top. These arms are not showing a crest. They appear to be for a member of the NORTH family. Because it is in the shape of a lozenge, we know it belongs to a lady. We can see the field is blue but the tinctures for the lion and fleur de lis are unclear. Some of the North arms have some different options on the gold and silver theme, (this can be seen in Google Image), some don't mention the tinctures at all. On page 740 of Armorial Families: A Complete Peerage, Baronetage etc, by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies (1895 edition) it does give information for “Amy Louise North, Widow, commonly known as the Honourable Mrs. Charles North, daughter of the late Reverend J. T. Maine of Bighton Wood, in the county of Hampshire. Armorial bearings are, upon a lozenge: Azure, a lion passant or, between three fleurs-de-lis argent.” Apparently she married a son of the 6th Earl of Guilford, who also holds the title of Baron North. So, there is one possible answer. Kind regards.
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Hi,
Your reply has both pointed me in the right direction and corrected my lack of knowledge for which I thank you. Whilst this may not be the forum for this type of discussion I have found in The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage that the arms are, as you stated, for the Baroness North. As the paten was assayed in 1721 and I believe the engraving is contemporary with this date is it a safe assumption that the arms are for Alicia Brownlow who married Francis North, 2nd Baron Guilford and therefore became Baroness Guilford, in around 1703?
Regards,
Trevor
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

Yes, I agree with you. I think you've got a strong argument. Cheers.

Return to “Family Crests”