Crest on Spoons

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
jacksonsvl19l

Crest on Spoons

Post by jacksonsvl19l »

Hello.
This is from a set of 6 spoons, made by Richard Crossley with a 1790 hallmark.
I would appreciate any info. on the family crest. Thank You.

doublestruck

Re: Crest on Spoons

Post by doublestruck »

According to Fairbairns; Plate 84,Crest 5.

ROGERS, Bart., Devonshire, on a mount, a roebuck, current, proper, attired and gorged with a ducal coronet (that's the crown around his throat), between two branches of laurel.

ROGERS family motto is: Nos nostraque Deo.
Translation: We and Ours to God.

Nice to see an attribution to one family; and not several.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Interesting to read.
Excuse Me, But There's No Such Thing As A Family Crest
(admin edit - please, no linking to commercial websites - see Posting Requirements )
doublestruck

Post by doublestruck »

And.... your point is?

Although the article written in the link is correct, of sorts, it is also incorrect.

There are such things as family crests; and seen often on items of silver carrying two crests (often explained as an example of two persons joining in marriage). But I then pose the question...how many women carry their own arms?

The article briefly and thinly talks about the celtic side of "permissions" to use family crests. One assumes it excludes the English. However, the Royal Collage of Arms rules are quite strict, whereas an applications to Lord Lyons (Scotland) may give you a different outcome.

The article points out the methods of an older regime; but times have changed and permissions can be granted to use Family Crests.

Further, my reply to the OP was a kind reassurance. There are several coats of arms which carry a crest the same as many other coats of arms, and it is nice to see a crest which can be attributed to just one blokes coats of arms.

As for the latter part of this article which claims you are exempt from registering arms, and that designing your own crest is acceptable, then that is satisfactory as well. However, it probably will not have any historic significance and will definitately not relate to any of the works as listed in Fairbairns.
jacksonsvl19l

Post by jacksonsvl19l »

Thank You for your time and knowledge. I do appreciate it.
I'm always happy when I can finish an entry in my records.
Thanks again.

Return to “Family Crests”