crown on silver french pot

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
david8

crown on silver french pot

Post by david8 »

hi, can anyone help with this little silver pot, is this the crown of a french earl or duke? thanks

JayT
contributor

Re: crown on silver french pot

Post by JayT »

Your image looks blurry on my monitor. If there are 5 leaves then this might be the coronet of a French duke. France did not have earls.

Is this item marked for French silver, or is it your assumption that it is French because of the fleur-de-lys on the body of the item?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Is it made in France and when? Can we see the marks?
Regards
david8

Post by david8 »

hi, i have added clearer pictures, it isnt hallmarked but tests for silver. i assumed it was french and not sure if its a pill box or vinaigrette missing the grill. just would like to know what the n.d means and where from. thanks

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Please show us the back of the case and tell us the dimensions, could it be a vesta case?

Oel.
david8

Post by david8 »

hi, i dont believe it to be a vesta case, as there is no scratch pad, there was a small piece of cotton wool inside. it is 3.9cms in height and 1.5cms diameter. but im more interested in the marks on the lid. thanks

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks not clearly French, no(hall)marks and could be silver plated. Your thread has been moved to the Family Crest topics for assistance.

Oel.
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

It is a souvenir of France. I have seen the same symbol on two different brooches and a napkin ring. Unfortunately, nobody knew what the initials stood for. I have not been able to solve the mystery, either. Kind regards.
nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

Found it! The problem was thinking it was an anchor below the crown, but it is an L and it's reverse, as it is used as a cipher for artistic balance. The symbol is for the society known as ''Hospitalité Notre Dame de Lourdes" (Hospitality of Our Lady of Lourdes). It is a volunteer organization founded in 1885 whose mission is to welcome pilgrims at the various sanctuaries of Lourdes. They do have a website. Kind regards.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

nobilityhouse
contributor

Post by nobilityhouse »

Thank you. Could not have done it without Google Translate from the French blogs. Happy New Year everyone!
david8

Post by david8 »

Thank you for your help. very much appreciated. happy new year

Return to “Family Crests”