T D on Hanoverian Rattails 1759

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

admin
Site Admin

T D on Hanoverian Rattails 1759

Post by admin »

I believe the date mark on these rattails is 1759/60, a gothic font D, somewhat squashed in this example. The earliest "T pellet D" mark illustrated in Grimwade is a Thomas Dene, registered in 1767.
The unregistered section shows a TD mark (3818), although without the pellet, believed to be Thomas Doxsey, this mark found on 1759 spoons.
Any thoughts?

Tom
carlislepaul
contributor

London maker T.D

Post by carlislepaul »

I aquired a Hanovarian double drop teaspoon yesterday with identical makers mark which I have attributed to Thomas Dene as result photo on http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Do you agree with this attribution?
Your date mark is possibly a squashed 'O' for 1769.

Paul
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Tom & Paul,
The London gothic letter sequence for 1756-76 looks to be the right one and only the D for 1759 or the O for 1769 would fit.
None of the known candidates with initials TD for an item assayed in 1759 registered a mark comparable to the one shown here. Incidentally Grimwade's biographical note for Doxey shows he was a goldworker in the 1773 Parliamentary List and the attribution to Doxey of the unregistered rectangular mark without a pellet on a 1759 silver spoon is doubtful.
Dene looks to be the only maker in 1769 known to have registered a mark comparable to the one here. The pellet distinguishes it.
Thomas Dene and a 1769 spoon looks to me a reasonable attribution.
Regards,
Mike

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”