Sheffield 1933 date letter with jubilee mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mickmarlow

Sheffield 1933 date letter with jubilee mark

Post by mickmarlow »

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to collecting silver really.

I have a fork made by Cooper Brothers & Sons that is date letter q for 1933 but also has the jubilee mark on it which I don't think it should have on it.
It is with a spoon as a christening set that has the same jubilee mark but date letter r for 1934 which I think is correct.

Is this a common mis-marking or am I incorrect in my assumptions.

many thanks,

Mick
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Sheffield 1933 date letter with jubilee mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
mickmarlow

Post by mickmarlow »

mickmarlow wrote:Hello, I am new to this forum and new to collecting silver really.

I have a fork made by Cooper Brothers & Sons that is date letter q for 1933 but also has the jubilee mark on it which I don't think it should have on it.
It is with a spoon as a christening set that has the same jubilee mark but date letter r for 1934 which I think is correct.

Is this a common mis-marking or am I incorrect in my assumptions.

many thanks,

Mick
Hopefully this will add an image

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The optional sovereign mark was used by assay offices for 1933/4 & 1934/5 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of George V & Queen Mary; the mark actually contains profiles of both.
Cheers
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

If I recall correctly, the stamping of the Jubilee mark started around September 1934, but the trade were forbidden to retail any such pieces struck with the mark until 1st January 1935. The reason for the early striking of the mark was so the manufacturers had the time to get their goods to their customers including those in the Colonies in readiness for Jubilee year. (Don't hold me to the dates, I read it a long time ago!)

The striking of the Jubilee mark was a boon to the trade, who saw a large increase in their sales by this addition.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

In fact the dates for the jubilee marks were the assay years 1934/35 (r) and 1935/36 (s). "mickmarlow" points out that his fork has q for 1933/34. Trev's point about marking from September onwards does not cover that as Sheffield date letters changed on the first Monday in July. Maybe the early marking was allowed during the previous assay year.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

(Don't hold me to the dates, I read it a long time ago!)
I've hunted for the reference, which I'm sure did give precise dates for the striking of the mark, but I've had no luck so far. When, and if, I track it down, I'll update the topic.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I appreciate this does help us with the question in topic, but I thought I would post it anyway, just for future reference:

The Queen has approved a special hallmark to commemorate her coronation, it was announced yesterday.

The Home Office have informed Mr G.R. Hughes, clerk of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, that the Queens head crowned may be struck at any assay office, from to-day to December 31, 1953, upon any gold or silver ware bearing one of the date letters in current use during some part of that period.

Wares bearing the coronation mark may not be sold in this country before January 1, 1953, although specimens may be distributed for publicity purposes. There will be no objection to sending supplies abroad bearing the coronation mark before that date.

This gives manufacturers several weeks in which to make and dispatch goods bearing the additional mark "For sale abroad" early in coronation year. The actual date on which Assay Offices can accept wares for marking with the special mark will be announced as soon as possible.

A committee representing the Assay Offices and the trade associations have chosen as the most suitable design for the coronation mark a model of the Queen's head by Mr. G. Paulin of Woronzow Road, London. His design has been selected from 10 plaster models considered by the committee and has been approved by the Royal Mint Advisory Committee and the Coronation Medal Panel.

Source: The Glasgow Herald - 1st October 1952

Perhaps the 1935 version may have had a longer striking period due to the fact that shipping goods to Australia, New Zealand, etc, by sea, would have taken months to get there and thus more time was required by the manufacturers to get these pieces ready for sale and available in the shops in Australia and NZ by 1st January 1935. I wonder if Mick's spoon has been around the world?

Trev.

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”