silver mirror

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Collyer

silver mirror

Post by Collyer »

Hi guys!I have just bought a lovely antique silver mirror,but I don't know how to read the hallmarks,so I am asking for a little help.Thanks in advanced!!!
Collyer

Re: silver mirror

Post by Collyer »

Here comes the pic
silvertt

Post by silvertt »

Hi there,
From the right the marks are script A 1901/02, the next mark three wheat sheaves is for the City of Chester Assay Office, the lion passant signifies sterling (92.5%) silver. The last mark is the maker, strictly speaking the sponsor but often one in the same, I cannot decipher maybe someone can help with the maker. The '1' is probably there because the mirror would have been part of a set with brushes, combs etc. and each piece would have had a number and the set would have almost certainly been boxed or cased.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Tony
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

The sponsor's mark may well be J & RG first entered at the Chester Assay Office in 1895 by James and Richard Griffin trading as J & R Griffin from 28 Hilton Street, later 105 Hockley Street, Birmingham.

Their catalogue is known to have included such items as jar tops and brushes for travelling cases and would presumably have extended to mirrors.

Mike
Collyer

Post by Collyer »

thanks!When the mirror arrived I cleaned it and I saw in the year chart of chester that the mirror is made in 1917.Thanks one more time about the maker info.Pitty the whole set isn't together thought.
Collyer

Post by Collyer »

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”