ID help please

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
jefner

ID help please

Post by jefner »

Hi guys, new here and sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but need to help in ID'ing a crystal flask belonging to my dad. Been having a clearout lately of his clutter and he didn't even remember owning it. Know nothing about silver which is why I thought I would pop here for some help. Many thanks

dognose
Site Admin

Re: ID help please

Post by dognose »

Hi Jefner,

Welcome to the Forum.

There should be more marks on the item, perhaps on the lid?

Trev.
jefner

Post by jefner »

Hi Dognose, I have had a good look and unfortunately no other marks :(. Can you tell me what the "head" mark is please
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The 'Head' mark is the Duty mark.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

Trev.
jefner

Post by jefner »

so it's during the reign of Queen Vic then? As old as that?
jefner

Post by jefner »

anyone please?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Without the advantage of a full hallmark it's difficult to be certain. However the most likely identification in my view is that C.C is Colen Hewer Cheshire, a silversmith whose premises were at 3 Northampton Street Birmingham. He registered this mark at both the Birmingham and Chester Assay offices but it is not a Chester mark because his registration occurred after 1 May 1890 when duty ceased to be payable. So, assuming it is a Birmingham mark of C H Cheshire, we can assign a date between 1867 when his Birmingham registration happened and 1890.

However we have to sound a note of caution as there is only a partial hallmark present. This should not happen without the full hallmark or at least the remaining parts (anchor for Birmingham and date letter), being stamped on another part (hence Trev's earlier question). Possibilities are a hallmarking error or a replacement part.

Phil
jefner

Post by jefner »

many thanks for your reply. Is it quite common for only a partial hallmark then?

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”