Maker ID please - 1900 Birmingham

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
BagpipePlayer

Maker ID please - 1900 Birmingham

Post by BagpipePlayer »

I’m hoping someone may be able to help me with is mark, it’s on the silver on a set of bagpipes. I’ve worked out that it’s from Birmingham and the year seems to be 1900, but the makers mark looks like just the letter “C”. Who could that be? I can't find any Birmingham silver smiths with just a C as their mark.
I’m hoping to work out the maker of the bagpipes be establishing the silver maker. I contemplating that the “C” could actually be for the bagpipe maker would employed the services of a Birmingham silver smith.
Any information greatly received!
https://ibb.co/5hz8ZyM
AG2012
contributor

Re: Maker ID please - 1900 Birmingham

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Your image embedded.Those are not Birmingham marks.
Regards

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think what we are looking at here are either Scottish provincial marks, or colonial marking - Australian, Canadian, etc.. The marks are not officially registered ones.

Do you know anything of the history of the pipes? Something that may provide a clue to the origin and point us in the right direction?

Trev.
BagpipePlayer

Post by BagpipePlayer »

Thanks very much for your replies so far. I'm surprised to hear that these are not Birmingham marks, I thought the anchor would be the definitive sign!

As the marks are not officially registered ones, could it be possible that the bagpipe maker employed a Birmingham silversmith who then didn't put his own mark on his work but instead changed it for the bagpipe maker?

The lowercase "a" could indicate the year 1900, which would make sense from what I can determine from the history of the pipes and their likely age. I'm trying to determine the maker of the pipes from the silver maker, but it seems this may well be too difficult!

Thanks,

Mark.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Mark, that anchor is definitively not Birmingham assay office anchor mark.
The anchor is completely different,also the shape of the marks and lack of lion passant for sterling.
Anchor is often seen on Indian colonial silver, for example.
Most likely what we have here are maker`s initials ``AC`` and phantasy anchor mark in the middle.
Regards
BagpipePlayer

Post by BagpipePlayer »

AG2012 wrote:Hello again,
Mark, that anchor is definitively not Birmingham assay office anchor mark.
The anchor is completely different,also the shape of the marks and lack of lion passant for sterling.
Anchor is often seen on Indian colonial silver, for example.
Most likely what we have here are maker`s initials ``AC`` and phantasy anchor mark in the middle.
Regards
Thanks very much, that makes sense. You’ve helped me, I’m now considering a bagpipe maker known to have used Indian silver! Thanks a lot!

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”