AD on a fiddle dessert spoon.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

AD on a fiddle dessert spoon.

Post by paulh »

This is a fiddle dessert spoon of a good heavy gauge. The mark on the back is “AD” below a rising sun in an oval. Does anyone have any ideas?

Paul.

mk209
contributor

Re: AD on a fiddle dessert spoon.

Post by mk209 »

As nobody seems to know there’s a few things about the spoon that could offer some clues. Firstly the engraved crest, you can find out a family name, it may offer some hints as to location (possibly colonial?). Secondly the style of the spoon, the back of the spoon bowl (the heel) varies a lot to dates and makers/locations. For example some Jersey made spoons have a distinctive style of heel and so do some Scottish so they can be recognised as such. None of these things are exact but might offer something to think about when researching an unknown mark.

Have you a picture of the back of the bowl?

Matt
Aguest
contributor

Re: AD on a fiddle dessert spoon.

Post by Aguest »

The "Triple Mark" spoons are sometimes difficult, when I find one I often think "Scottish Provincial" or "Channel Islands" but I have even heard of French Canadian triple marks, so these "Triple Mark" spoons can be difficult..

The "Fleur De Lis" symbol does add to the mystery as well because of its connection to French culture..

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”