Canadian Mark Help with confirmation - Munro -

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tastevin

Canadian Mark Help with confirmation - Munro -

Post by tastevin »

Hi everyone,
I have what I think are two 16th/17th century spoons by Alexander Munro of New Brunswick (1795-1819). I couldn't find the marks here on the forum, but I saw Booth's mark on the Canadian Mark's page (he shared a shop with Munro).

I am hoping someone can confirm the marks, and their quality. I think they are 800 silver but it would be great to know for sure. It would be pretty cool amazing if they were really that old.

Is there anyone who can help? Maybe if you have a copy of either Langdon's "Canadian Silversmiths 1700-1900" or "Guide to marks on early Canadian silver" or else Mackay's "Silversmiths and Related Craftsmen of the Atlantic Provinces"? These aren't available in my area, and I don't want to buy them for just a couple spoons (out of print books are expensive!)

Image:

If they are the real thing, I would be happy to provide a photo to update the website with Munro's info.

Thanks in advance!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Canadian Mark Help with confirmation - Munro -

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I've embedded your image as very few people will click on links:

As the spoons are coffin-ended, then the dates for Alexander Munro would be perfect for this fairly short-lived style of the terminal.

I'm afraid I do not have an example of his mark.

Trev.
bstaunto
contributor

Re: Canadian Mark Help with confirmation - Munro -

Post by bstaunto »

Hi there,

From a distance, this looks like a good match for Alex Munro's mark in Langdons.

Cool pair of spoons!

Ben

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”