18th Century Sugar Tongs marked Walsh

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Adam.NYC

18th Century Sugar Tongs marked Walsh

Post by Adam.NYC »

Am I correct in assuming these were made by Stephen Walsh in Cork, Ireland in the second half of the 18th Century?

AG2012
contributor

Re: 18th Century Sugar Tongs marked Walsh

Post by AG2012 »

Are we helping collectors who cherish their newly acquired silver? Or helping sellers? Possibly not against the rules of this forum (after all, how can we know?). But I am ambiguous whether to research for fair-vanity`s profit.
1760-80s Stephen Walsh Cork Ireland George III Cast Pierced Sterling Silver Sugar Tongs 5.85" long 48 gms. No monogram.Marked with Walsh on both sides. Also marked inside with initials MAL.
Very good condition with fine scratches from normal use.
All packages are insured for your protection and mine. The price of insurance is included in the shipping fee.
Check out my other items! Be sure to add me to your favorites list!

Also:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 60&t=43085
RARE c1824 Robert Garrard II Georgian Sterling Silver Chamberstick with Snuffer
George IV period
Gadrooned border. Armorial designs engraved. Snuffer attaches to handle.
6" diameter bottom plate. 444 gms. No monogram.
Hallmarks for London 1824. Marked Garrard's Panton Street London.
In a word,fair-vanity already knows answers regarding Stephen Walsh.
Merry Christmas and good luck.
Adam.NYC

Post by Adam.NYC »

I am definitely a collector but I am also settling my family's estate and anything that does not add to my collection I am giving to a seller to sell for me. I saw the Walsh attribution on this site and just wanted to confirm if I was correct. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I appreciate that some members do not care to assist those whose only motivation in posting on the forum is that of profit. But there is a, in fact several bigger pictures to be seen. If someone has an item of silver that wish to dispose of, then seeking the correct description and thus not misleading anyone is surely to be applauded. Far better that an item is in the hands of someone that appreciates it, than being left in a box in the attic as an investment for the future, just gathering dust and seen by no-one. By gaining the correct information an item may well end up in the hands of a collector who will genuinely cherish the item thus perhaps saving it from the melting pot. A request for such information also gives us the opportunity to see great items and record their marks, thus we all learn a little more from the sharing of such information. Providing the OP keeps to the forum rules, and in this case those rules have been conformed too, then I think we all gain a little, sometimes a lot. The forum is not a medium for business, we do make that clear, but a place for serious research into marks that appear on precious metals, so, as long as anonymity is preserved as to reason for the request for information we can hopefully all benefit.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/ebaynote.html

I myself sometimes post requests for information on behalf of a friend that is a silver dealer. The person involved pays back the forum by sending me images of everything that passes through his hands, both the mundane and the exciting, as he is only too aware of the importance of recording such marks, and thus through this medium we have obtained hundreds of images of marks that have posted here and helped many people. Hopefully it can be seen there is a flip side to the coin.

Back to topic, Information regarding Stephen Walsh can be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/IrishProvincial_08.html#M

Trev.
Adam.NYC

Post by Adam.NYC »

I'm always happy to share new marks for this forum. I will surely have more in the coming weeks as I settle a huge estate from multiple ancestors who had lots of silver. -Adam

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”