'E' - Australian?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

'E' - Australian?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

A mark sent to me by a gentleman in Australia:

He has come come across three examples of the mark, all on spoons, and all in the Sydney or surrounding area.

Has anyone come across this mark before?

All thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
bstaunto
contributor

Re: 'E' - Australian?

Post by bstaunto »

I think I've seen this before somewhere...maybe from the same gentleman!

Because the E is upside down and almost more of an interpretation of an E than an actual E, I would have thought it was either Indian Colonial or Chinese Export.

It seems to be similar to a mark attributed to Chinese maker Linchong (and a couple of other unknown makers) in the Chinese Export Silver section Houstone's book on Australian silver? I know the punches aren't the same, but that is the direction I would be looking.

Just my thoughts. :)

Ben
dognose
Site Admin

Re: 'E' - Australian?

Post by dognose »

Hi Ben,

Thanks for responding. My initial thoughts were also Chinese Export Silver, but the mark has been looked at by AVF, and he doubts that is the origin, certainly at least as Canton is concerned.

The shape of the cartouches are not without mention, for although the marks are crude in the extreme, the maker of these punches has taken the time to make each one different, as if working from memory from previous seen pieces. The backward 'E' may also bear this out, perhaps someone illiterate or not familiar with the Roman alphabet, but certainly the serifs were heavily implanted in his mind. I presuming that all the known examples were struck with the same orientation of the letter.

I should have stated earlier, that the marks were noted on fiddle patterned desert spoons.

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”