A rare piece of Bermudan silver by George Hutchings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bstaunto
contributor

A rare piece of Bermudan silver by George Hutchings

Post by bstaunto »

I picked up these sugar tongs the other day. I was very excited when I saw them, as I've been looking for a piece of Bermudan silver for quite some time (and I hope to add to this one piece. ;) ).

They were identified as being by a Canadian silversmith, George Haddington. This was based on the mark found in Langdon. I wonder if this is a misattribution by Langdon. It would be great to know the piece it came from and why it was attributed as Canadian. I haven't been able to find any other pieces attributed to this maker, has anyone else seen one?

The mark on these tongs is an near identical match to a spoon by George Hutchings (he dies in Bermuda in 1856) from the Martin Gubbs collection. And also to one of the marks for George Hutchings in the book on Bermudan silver. I'll post all the various images. Notice the doubling of the period between the initials.

I also wonder if anyone knows of any other examples of sugar tongs from Bermuda? The reference book doesn't mention any.

Any thoughts, comments, etc welcome.

Ben
dognose
Site Admin

Re: A rare piece of Bermudan silver by George Hutchings

Post by dognose »

Hi Ben,

It looks like you have a great find, well done!

We only have one mark with a possible attribution to George Hutchings, (see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ngs#p51744 ) it was only ever a possible, but you appear to have hit the target with this one.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”