Aberdeen Marks on Goblet

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vigman

Aberdeen Marks on Goblet

Post by vigman »

Hi

Please could the group confirm that this Goblet is Aberdeen silver and that no other hallmarks are to be expected, please? I can't see the letter after the maker's mark "W" but guess this might be William Jamieson?

Any other suggestions welcomed and an approximate date guide, too, please?

Thanks in advance

Vigman
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Aberdeen Marks on Goblet

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The image is not the clearest, but it does appear to the mark of William Jamieson. His working period was 1806 until 1841.

What does the engraved inscription say?

Trev.
vigman

Post by vigman »

Thanks, Trev

I only had the goblet to ID and possibly value for a friend of my mother for a few minutes hence the blurred photo.

The inscription is undated but is a gift from a wife to her husband and has the family motto "stand fast" on the back.

The floral decoration on the rim looked more like the 1890s so possibly this and the inscription were added later?

The letter after "W" is worn but would it have been J or the old style I for Jamieson?

This is about 10" tall but the stem is weighted so hard to work out the basic weight.

Are Jamieson pieces rare? I have sold many gold and silver items but was unaware of this unassayed Aberdeen mark!

Vigman
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

This topic gives a background to the firm: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... son#p78500

Trev.
vigman

Post by vigman »

Many thanks for the Jamieson link, Trev.

Do folks think the decoration on the rim of the goblet was a later addition or is this a known style for this maker, please?

TIA

Vigman
vigman

Post by vigman »

On closer inspection it looks like the bowl of the goblet has been reattached to the stem. The pattern on the goblet rim and base is the same so I don't think it is a marriage.

I would really like to see any other photos of Jamieson's work other than flatware or wine labels if anyone can point me at them please?

TIA

Vigman
vigman

Post by vigman »

I have just found this showing that my goblet/chalice is not a marriage:
http://www.aagm.co.uk/thecollections/ob ... oblets--2-

Looking into the bowl of my chalice there is no gilding where the stem meets the bowl hence the possibility of a repair?

Vigman

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”