Scottish ? granite/silver brooch. Maker(s) please.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
georgiansilver
contributor

Scottish ? granite/silver brooch. Maker(s) please.

Post by georgiansilver »

I have acquired a brooch which I believe may be Scottish granite and although not hallmarked it tests as high grade silver. It has two sets of makers marks on the back and I would appreciate any help in identifying them and if indeed the brooch is Scottish. Pictures can be found at this site:-
Best wishes, Mike.
nigel le sueur
contributor

Scottish

Post by nigel le sueur »

The marks look like A B D if that is correct then yes 100% Scottish namely from Aberdeen the makers mark JW could be James Walker (earlist mention 1847 latest 1875) that is the only J W Aberdeen l can find,but l cannot find a mark for him.
ps looks a nice piece
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Thanks for that. Yes it is so crisp and pristine condition. Bought for £1 with a Butlins badge and a silver jubilee coin on a car boot...and from a well known local dealer!. To be fair it was black when I found it in his junk tray but had he looked more carefully at it or maybe had more knowledge he could have triumphed with it. Thanks again and Best wishes, Mike.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Have had another look and it is indeed ABD...so your info looks spot on. Thanks again and Best wishes, Mike.
nigel le sueur
contributor

Post by nigel le sueur »

Car Boot sale from a dealer !!! incredible, the amount of time l have spent on my knees looking for provincial silver at auctions etc well done
Nigel
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

There was also John Watson, who was working c1880 - 90. He made brooches, as did Walker.
Difference was that Watson had rounded corners to the oblong punch, Walker was squared off.
I have a CD coming out shortly, to go with my Directory, which shows both.

Richard

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”