Mysterious Set of Tandem Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Mysterious Set of Tandem Marks

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Here we have, what is to me, a mystery. A feather edge tablespoon with a shell bowl, with a quite normal set of marks indicting that it was made by Thomas Chawner and assayed at London in 1774. It measures nearly 8¾ inches (22cm) in length and weighs 75gms.

However, the spoon also is stamped with an additional set of marks.

RB - Tudor rose - Hibernia - Lion Passant

It's difficult to be sure which set of marks were stuck first, the mystery set are far more worn, but were probably struck lighter than Chawners. The English marks are in a position that you would expect for 1774, but the position of the others may be quite normal depending on their origin.

I presume we are looking at a colonial set of marks. Does anybody recognize them?

All thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
bstaunto
contributor

Re: Mysterious Set of Tandem Marks

Post by bstaunto »

Hi,
I see a spoon from this set (if not the same spoon!), is being sold with the second set of marks being described as Pewterers Marks (namely those of a member of the Bush family of Bristol-almost certainly Robert Bush (who worked from 1764-1802)). Indeed some examples of their stamps are similar.

I still don't quite understand why they would do that...but it is a potential lead on a cold case.

Ben
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for this very interesting lead.

No, it's not the same spoon and it is the first time that I have seen another example of these particular tandem marks.

I'll update the topic should I find any further details.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Variations in hallmarking on spoons by Thomas and William Chawner

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”