Thought this might be Cape, but...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Thought this might be Cape, but...

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All any help appreciated, bought this very hand wright spoon that looks like it's stirred a good few gravies in its life, thinking the marks might be for Cape silversmith Daniel Collinet (1810-1825). But a closer examination of the marks in Weltz leaves me not entirely convinced. Marked DC (or possibly a bad DG) with a circular cross hatched punch both stamped twice. While the Weltz mark has similar fat lettering and slightly arched top cartouch, it doesn't have the canted bottom corners and the cross hatched device. While the marks certainly have a Cape look about them - could it be an unrecorded mark or wondering if there are any other avenues to explore. The finial of the spoon has simply been hammered flat. - Regards Frank

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Thought this might be Cape, but...

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

I have this mark attributed to Daniel Collinet in my files, although where I got from, and how accurate that information was, is, I'm afraid, now unknown:

Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Re: Thought this might be Cape, but...

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Trev - thanks for this.
The D in the Weltz mark also has two large serifs to the left of the downstroke. But given the Cape style of the marks, and the fact that more than one punch may have been used and the other similarities, I'd be happy to attribute it to Collinet - Regards Frank

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”