Cape forks in kings pattern

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Cape forks in kings pattern

Post by rat-tail »

Hi
I thought I would like to post these table forks showing the marks of prolific Cape silversmith Lawrence Twentyman - Weltz 135. And unusually in the kings pattern. Of course the question I suspect really is whether he made them or imported them from one of the bigger concerns in London or Sheffield and simply put his mark on them. Or would that be against British hallmarking laws? I think this is what's referred to as kings diamond heel? - They're superbly heavy and good length - Thanks frank.

agphile
contributor

Re: Cape forks in kings pattern

Post by agphile »

I believe British silver should have been hallmarked even when destined for export but, like you, have wondered whether this always happened. However, I’m aware of a set of 6 similar forks, 4 marked for Twentyman and 2 for Waldek. As I recall, they all share the same set of pseudo marks as your forks. David Murray has suggested that the stub with these pseudo marks was used with a fly press imported by Twentyman c.1830. If any Cape silversmith had Kings pattern dies, it is likely to have been Twentyman. And Waldek is likely to have taken over the Twentyman workshop. I think, therefore, that there is a more than fair chance your forks were actually locally made rather than imported.

It seems a little odd, though, that we should be seeing forks, which usually survive less well, without accompanying spoons. Your next challenge is to find some matching spoons with Cape marks!

David
rat-tail
contributor

Re: Cape forks in kings pattern

Post by rat-tail »

Hi David
Many thanks for the info - would love the spoons as well, but am sure they'll be quite a search.
These actually came with a George IV London dessert spoon and fork, but in a different variant of the kings pattern, with a small shell on the reverse. And some number of plated pieces from William Hutton and sons from the 1890s.
Appreciated Frank

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”