Help identifying feather edge tongs

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help identifying feather edge tongs

Post by rat-tail »

Hi all - I think these are probably provincial because they only have one mark, a makers mark of IC. They're an attractive set of feather edge tongs with unusual rounded bowls and a bit of wear and tear on the one arm. Can i presume C1780?
Not listed in Weltz so unlikely to be Cape. The first two Johannes Combrinks both had marks with canted corners and more fluid lettering, the third used the Cape stub. But suspect this spoon predates them anyway. Can i presume C1780? Any thoghts on who IC is would be appreciated. - regards Frank

MCB

Re: Help identifying feather edge tongs

Post by MCB »

We could be in difficulty here Frank.

From my records there were 17 makers' marks registered in London between 1760 and 1800 which had IC in a rectangle with or without a pellet between the initials, 2 in Newcastle, 4 in Sheffield and there were also some being used in Scotland. Most would resemble the mark on the spoon. Then there are the uregistered ones and those being used colonially.

Hopefully someone may have a similar pair of tongs with an acceptable attribution as to the maker or by the style help to narrow down the date and country of manufacture but I thought you should be aware of the chances of success.

Best Wishes
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank and Mike,

Take a look here at the work of Joshua Cooper for a possible lead: http://www.silversugartongs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Frank & Trev

Impressive detective work Trev.

The tongs shown on the web-site look very similar in style to the ones here but it is said that Thomas Chawner for one used this style. Could there be others?

Comparing the makers' marks leaves the question of whether they are similar and the attribution of the web-site tongs to Cooper is indicated as uncertain though possible.

Regards
Mike
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Mike and Trev. Thanks for your thoughts and Trev for the useful link.
They are certainly in the same style as Joshua Cooper's and at it confirms a date of shortly pre-duty mark. Not sure about the makers mark though.
Mr Cooper's later marks have much fatter lettering and canted corners. His other 1784 mark has a pellet. The mark on mine is rubbed but I don't think it had a pellet. But then there are those on this site who take a pellet as gospel and those who take it with a pinch of salt, so anything is possible - replacement punches, unregistered punches etc etc.
The only reason I thought they were provincial is the lack of a lion passant and the fact that they don't quite have the unity of design that Mr Cooper's have, the bowls are fractionally larger and have a slight after-thought type feel about them. So was basing that on a premiss that the further from london, the more things were likely to go astray. But than what I have read on this site about what some of the London small workers got up to, it sounds like even the great and the good at Goldsmiths Hall would have been glad to be shot of them. So certainly could be London. Maybe I just want them to be provincial. But I do like a riddle.
Appreciate your help
Frank
PS Is there such a thing as feather edge and does it apply here - I see silver sugar tongs.com refers to them as thread pattern.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

I would describle your example as feather edge.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”