Scottish Provincial Marrow Scoop?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Scottish Provincial Marrow Scoop?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

This one is a bit of a mystery, a marrow scoop, just over 9" in length.

Marked with a Thistle, A, M, Co., and an Eagle.

Richard Turner noted in his book 'A Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & Their Marks' an 'A., M., Co, and an Eagle found on platedware and the Incorporation of Edinburgh site has an 'AM & Co' contained within a single punch, both though are unidentified.

This scoop, however, does not appear to be plated and is marked with a thistle. If the thistle was an official mark, it is surprising that it lacks a Duty mark, but having said that, I have another Scottish marrow scoop that is marked with only the Duty mark and the maker's mark, it shows no sign of the Thistle ever having been struck.

The Eagle would normally be an indicator of Perth, but this Eagle appears to be clasping a batton in its tallons, unlike any Perth Eagle I have noted.

Any thoughts?

Trev.
StewartMcI

Post by StewartMcI »

I would at least consider a colonial source, especially the possibility of a Scottish smith working in colonial India, which would be supported by the slightly crude "fiddle" features. A quick look, however, at my two relevant references, does not throw up an obvious candidate.

Stewart
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for your input. Yes, a colonial maker is a definite possibility for the origin of this piece.

Thanks for checking your references.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just in case there is a Perth connection, here are a few candidates from that town who were working in the silver trade.

Andrew McCash........ fl. c.1878-1882
Albert McGregor........ fl. c.1866-1869
A. W. McIntosh...........fl. c.1884-1891
Alexander McLaren.... Early 19th Century
Alexander McNab....... Mid 19th Century
Andrew Melville......... fl. c.1854-1860
Annie Murphy............ fl. c.1905-1915

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”