Help with these scottish teaspoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help with these scottish teaspoons

Post by rat-tail »

Can anyone confirm the date or maker of these four fiddle pattern Scottish teaspoons - the style of the A doesn't seem to correspond to anything in my pocket guide. Maker's initials are W.B - Many thanks Frank

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

You seem to have an amazing ability to find unusual spoons.

I'm wondering if these examples may not have travelled too far, I'm curious as to whether they are Cape silver with Scottish pseudo marks.

Does anyone have Stephan Welz's 'Cape Silver'?

Regards Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Trev. I'll be honest and say I know very little about old Cape silver, even though it's in our own back yard so to speak. Curious to know what about the spoons makes you think they are Cape. Is there a definitive look about Cape work?

I was attracted to the spoons because I knew they were of good age, nicely made and assumed Scottish pre duty mark until the marks didn't quite fit. With Durban being established only about 1840, most of the silver we see here is Victorian or later (late Georgian at the earliest) which is why the early stuff appeals.

I'll try and track down someone who has a copy of Weltz. Most exciting. Thanks Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

I have to say that I wondered about the possibility of Cape silver more in hope than expectation.

The marks to me look colonial, and knowing your location.

Let's see what others think.

Regards Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

hello,

Just a quick note to say that there is nothing in Stephen Welz's book which matches this mark.

Paul
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Thanks Trev and Paul

So these spoons are colonial, and not cape, or at least not known to Weltz. I suppose the next logical place to try is India. Any suggestions as to where to look, reference books etc.

Regards Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Another possibility is that they are forgeries. There was a scandel in Edinburgh in the 1820's involving the Liverpool silversmith John Sutter.
Sutter served his apprenticeship in Edinburgh under Charles Dalgleish. Another apprentice serving under Dalgleish at the same time as Sutter, was Alexander Dick who left Edinburgh in 1824 for Australia, and was soon in trouble with the authorities there. Dick was known to use a pseudo Edinburgh town mark on his colonial wares.
I'm not suggesting these spoons are the work of Dick or Sutter, only to say that there are several possibilities as to their origin.

As for references to Indian colonial silver, which is, as you suggest, is another possibility, I doubt if you will find better than our own on the web.
See: http://www.925-1000.com/AngloIndian_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
although quite new, it is growing all the time. In book form, Wynyard R T Wilkinson's 'The Maker's of Indian Colonial Silver - A Register of Europeon Goldsmiths, Silversmiths, Jewellers, Watchmakers and Clockmakers in India and their Marks' is by far the best.

Trev.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”