Help in identifying these Hallmarks please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PersonalTAgent

Help in identifying these Hallmarks please

Post by PersonalTAgent »

Hello
I'm new to the forum and would very much appreciate if anyone can help identify the following hallmarks please? I have checked a number of sites and the only thing I can find is part of the A - the left side which has what looks like a reversed E but then the rest of the A isn't on there, it shows as a possible date 1840. I have this in Scotland and bought in Edinburgh although the secondary mark on the dish is showing as E&E Emanuel The Hard Portsea
The hallmark has 4 marks and one looks like 'aat', another looks like a running man but is quite faded and difficult to make out, the other looks like a large C (or it could be a T) and small underlined o, I am keen to understand the actual silver Hallmark and it's meaning / date.
Many thanks for your help.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help in identifying these Hallmarks please

Post by dognose »

Hi PersonalTAgent,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid there are no hallmarks present. The mark H.W. & Co., in Gothic letters, is one of the many marks used by Henry Wilkinson & Co. of Sheffield This one probably dates to pre-1872 before they became a limited liability company, the 'Ltd.' appearing in their marks sometime after that date. See: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_W2.html for later examples of their marks. Henry Wilkinson & Co. were acquired by Walker & Hall in 1892.

See also: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... son#p74693

E. & E. Emanuel were the retailers of this silver plated piece which would date to c.1860. They were important retailers from the early 1800's until the very early years of the 20th century.

Trev.
PersonalTAgent

Post by PersonalTAgent »

Hi Trev
Wow, well done, I would never have guessed that said HW&Co. Thank you for your speedy reply. Well, so much for thinking I could sell the family silver! It looks like silver plate doesn't have much value.
A bit disappointed but then it's a lovely dish so I guess one to keep.
Many thanks, your knowledge is appreciated.
Marisa
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Good quality silver plated dish.

Herwith some more information about Henry:
http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAWILKINSON.html

What I found on the internet
E & E Emanuel , The Hard Portsea (part of Portsmouth) who were fine and well known retailers of good quality Carriage clocks as well as Swords , telescopes and many maritime instruments , they were working at this address from 1859-67. and also opened a store at 101 The High Street , Portsmouth

Oel.
PersonalTAgent

Post by PersonalTAgent »

Hello Oel

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. I am very interested in the origins and have been looking around also. It is a lovely dish and at around 150 years old+ I would love to know the story and the places it has been, but I am unsure of the origin of this piece so I'll never know.

The marks are pretty worn but thankfully clear enough for it to have been identified.

What a great site, and some lovely pieces and pictures on here.

All the best
Marisa

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”