Request assistance identifying silversmith

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Beginner

Request assistance identifying silversmith

Post by Beginner »

I’m trying to identify the silversmith of my tea set. I’ve been told he could be James Scriber or J. (James or John) Smyth(e).

I think the marks show sterling silver from Dublin, 1862 retailed by William Law.

The front of the teapot is engraved with a lion on its hind legs and "Nil Durum Volenti" on a ribbon below.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Lovely teapot.

I can't confirm the maker's mark, but the Latin motto translates as " Nothing is hard for the willing (mind)"

Miles
larkfield
contributor

Post by larkfield »

I have a sugar shovel with identical makers mark, dated 1870. I have seen no makers mark recorded similar to this one because the S is so obviously smaller than the J, so it is still listed by me as maker unknown. The following is offered in comment on makers you mention
I would discount John Smyth as he is said to have worked 1827 - 1855 and his marks I have seen are not identical
The only mark for John Scriber I know of is IS
Beginner

Researching Scriber

Post by Beginner »

Thank you both for your quick responses.

Larkfield - Do you know where I might find information on the Scriber you mentioned? I sent an e-mail to the Dublin Assay address listed under the Dublin Castle website as a starting point.

Thanks again.
McKnight12

Re: Request assistance identifying silversmith

Post by McKnight12 »

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but "Nil Durum Volenti" is the motto of the McKnight family. The lion is also found on the McKnight family crest. I know it isn't much, but hope it can help.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Request assistance identifying silversmith

Post by dognose »

Hi McKnight12,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for contributing the information.

Trev.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”