Silver Dessert Spoon - Unable to identify marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Phillko

Silver Dessert Spoon - Unable to identify marks

Post by Phillko »

Dear Admin
Recently I acquired an interesting Silver Dessert Spoon ( I am a Spoon collector for over 20 years now ) but I am struggling to identify the marks which are unfamiliar to me but look as though they may possibly be Irish Provincial ? I have attached the 2 required photographs for you to see - one of the whole object and the second one of the marks on the subject Spoon. The Spoon is exactly 75 mms in length or just under 7 inches. The makers mark looks very like Joseph Kinselagh with a pellet between the J and the K and one after the K. Who was a Cork maker who died in 1783. The other mark next to the makers initials I cannot identify and the next mark looks like the duty mark of George III’s head. Below the struck marks are 2 sets of inscribed initials EA. and below either capital T or J or F with a small s. Perhaps given as a Marriage Spoon or the original owners as the script engraving seems contemporaneous with the Spoon. The Spoon stem handle end though not fully Celtic in shape is slightly pointed. Can you help me at all in indentifying the origin and marks of this Spoon please ? I have been through both the Irish and Scottish Provincial sections of the website last night but still cannot identify the marks. Many thanks.
Phillko

Re: Silver Dessert Spoon - Unable to identify marks

Post by Phillko »

Phillko

Post by Phillko »

scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

The maker's mark could be that of Joseph Kinselagh but I would like to see sharper close-up photos of the hallmarks. If the maker's mark is the JK of Joseph Kinselagh, it's unlikely this is by the referenced Cork silversmith, Joseph Kinselagh due to the existence of the hallmarks on the stem. Joseph Kinselagh, the Cork silversmith, used his mark and STERLING. He was made a Freeman of Cork City on the 16th June 1780, described as 'Jeweller'.

However, there seems to be some confusion over this silversmith. The authors of Cork Silver & Gold say Kinselagh commenced work in 1755 and died in 1783, while the Goldsmiths of Cork suggest 1756-1780 and Bennett, 1750-1783. Hie is not listed in 'McDonnell's Cork City Directory, 1755' nor is he listed in 'Lucas's Cork Directory, 1787' so was gone by then. Jackson's Silver & Gold Marks shows JK (script) STERLING for Joseph Kinselagh, circa 1780 but also lists J.K (script) STERLING for Jos. Kinselagh on sugar tongs, circa 1796. Did Jackson get the date wrong and note the dot between the J & K on this listing? Without seeing the tongs and the mark, it's impossible to know the criteria on which Jackson attributed the c.1796 date.

Many spoons are extant with a similar JK (script) and Dublin hallmarks dating to the first decade of the 19th century. I myself have spoons dated 1804. Perhaps Joseph Kinselagh did not die in 1783 (although I doubt the authors of Cork Silver & Gold and other reference works all got this wrong) or maybe this Joseph Kinselagh is a son of the Cork jeweller/silversmith but either worked in Dublin or perhaps had silver sent to Dublin to be assayed. I have endeavoured to research Joseph Kinselagh but so far with little success. Bennett doesn't mention any Dublin silversmith by the name of Joseph Kinselagh nor can I find him in Dublin Trade Directories.

Gordon
Phillko

Post by Phillko »

Dear Gordon - thankyou so much for replying to my listing of this Spoon and the content of your information is very interesting. I have been away for a couple of days and am busy all tomorow (Friday) and away all Saturday but on Sunday I will try to take a closer and sharper image of the marks on the Spoon and then post it on the site.
Kind regards
Phillip
Phillko

Post by Phillko »

Phillko

Post by Phillko »

Dear Gordon - you asked for a clearer sharper focused photograph of the actual marks in your reply to me so this morning,Monday,22nd of January,2018 I have now uploaded this further image of the actual marks on the Silver Dessert Spoon for you to see and examine - does this help you further ?
Kind regards - Phillip
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Hi Phillip,

This looks similar to the mark shown in Jackson's for c.1996 with a dot between the J & K but with minor variations in the K. Given the oval shape of the King's head and Hibernia on your spoon, I'd date it to between 1821-1825 but strange there is no date mark or Crowned Harp. My 1804 spoons are fully hallmarked but there have no dot between the J & K.

Gordon
airgeadoir

Post by airgeadoir »

The relative crispness of the JK mark compared to the others suggests that it was struck at a different time, ie later. It was not unusual when a silversmith handled another smith's article for repair or remodelling, that he impressed his own mark thereon, usually overstriking the original maker's mark. Could this perhaps have happened in this case?
John

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”