confirmation of mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zibbyg15

confirmation of mark

Post by zibbyg15 »

Hi,

I have a silver candlestick now lamp that is impressed M.C. after much research i think it is Michael Cormick but there are not many photos of his mark online except a few. please find below my link to the online album where you can see the mark. I would appreciate any assistance or confirmation that my research proved right.

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/zibbyg15/library/

Many thanks!

Zibby
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: confirmation of mark

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Douglas Bennett, in "Collecting Irish Silver 1637-1900", shows Cormick's mark as M·C in an oval punch which does not match your mark. Bennett's lists do not, however, show every mark.

But I have to ask you why you think this is Irish. I would have expected a full set of Dublin marks, namely Hibernia, harp and date letter, in addition to the maker's mark. As you do not show or mention these I wonder if it is from somewhere else or even if it is silver.

Phil
zibbyg15

Post by zibbyg15 »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your thoughts. I was basing this off Irish due to Cormick possibly being the maker. I found a few items with this having a punch in a square with just MC but you mention others which is very helpful. There is another mark but it is very obliterated. I had the item tested and it came back as silver.

many thanks again for your thoughts.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Zibby,

Is it possible that you could an image of the other mark? Just in case it can still offer a clue.

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

I suspect the initials could be MG rather than MC. Unfortunately that doesn't really help as it's not the mark of Moulang & Gibson and I can't trace another MG maker's mark. It's likely the maker is not Irish but as Trev requested, an image of the other mark may help.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”