IW stamped twice - John Warner?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jojo 1

IW stamped twice - John Warner?

Post by jojo 1 »

Hi there,
here is another spoon with only makers mark struck twice - no 'ster' or 'sterling' mark. These marks are pretty rubbed - but looks to me like IW. Are these possibly the marks of John Warner? Or am I on the wrong path completely?? All Cork silver that I have personally come across has had the additional 'sterling' mark. As ever, grateful for any information!
Best wishes, Jo.
scorpio
contributor

Re: IW stamped twice - John Warner?

Post by scorpio »

Hi Jo,

It may be helpful if you could post a higher resolution image of the maker's marks. IW could be John Warner or his son, James Warner. However, when I zoom in on the right maker's mark, it looks like the top edge is serrated but it gets too pixelated for me to see properly. You can probably see this better with the naked eye or through a magnifying glass.

If a serrated box, it could be John Williams although there is some confusion here between Douglas Bennett, who attributes IW in a serrated box to John Warner while Cork Silver and Gold attributes IW in a serrated box to John Williams, as does Trev in this thread http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 56&t=31869

John Warner's usual mark has a prominent entrance serif which I don't see in your marks and may even be confused with a bullet between the I and W if worn. Bennett shows two other John Warner marks with bullets between the initials.

Seeing two makers marks and no sterling mark is not too unusual. I have a set of six teaspoons by John Humphreys (or John Hillery) with two sets of IH on each and no Sterling marks at all.

Kind regards,

Gordon
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Actually, what appears on some John Warner silver is most likely not a prominent entrance serif but a damaged punch with the bullet and the W joining up at the top.
jojo 1

Post by jojo 1 »

Hi Gordon,
Many thanks for your reply! To the naked eye I cannot see a serrated edge to the punch but will have another look in the daylight! I will try also to post a better pic of the mark on the right - I don't think there is a pellet between the letters. In the meantime posting a closer {but probably not better!} pic of the right mark. Thank you once again for taking the time to respond - very much appreciated!
Best wishes, Jo.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Hi Jo,

I can see it better now thanks and you're right, no serrated edges and no bullet. Looks like it could be the second mark for John Warner shown on the Irish Provincial Marks section here on this website http://www.925-1000.com/IrishProvincial_04.html . The I on your spoon does seem shorter than the W and with no bullet, same as the mark shown.

It's not a mark I've come across myself, nor is it shown in Bennett or Cork Silver & Gold. Perhaps it's from Jacksons and I don't have a copy of it. I've only seen the IW with a bullet in between the initials as shown here:

...or with the damaged punch as shown here:
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Trev may be able to comment further.

Kind regards,

Gordon
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Is this the mark you are referring to Gordon?:

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Yes, that's it Trev.
jojo 1

Post by jojo 1 »

Hi Gordon,
I was a little confused as all Warner marks that I have seen have the pellet between - and the other example on this website does not quite match up to this one - although the marks on mine are quite rubbed so difficult to say definitively. Thank you again Gordon for your detailed and informative responses.
Best wishes, Jo.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Hi Jo,

Thanks and I agree, it's close but doesn't quite match exactly (maybe wear, maybe because it's punched on a narrow stem) and I can't trace that particular mark without a pellet on any other piece of silver attributed to John Warner either. I'll keep an eye out for any other John Warner silver.

Kind regards,

Gordon

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”