Pill box - any ideas of the maker JJ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jojo 1

Pill box - any ideas of the maker JJ?

Post by jojo 1 »

Hi there, this little pillbox has the marks as pictured - I have not been able to find any reference to these makers marks - does anybody have any ideas? It appears to date to 1842 - but am prepared to stand corrected! As always, any information would be gratefully received!! Posting a pic of the crest too as I have not come across it before...Many thanks, Jo.
scorpio
contributor

Re: Pill box - any ideas of the maker JJ?

Post by scorpio »

The crest is the winged spur of the Johnstone/Johnston clan but I don't know who the maker JJ is.
jojo 1

Post by jojo 1 »

Scorpio - not sure I will ever find out who JJ is - but thank you very much for identifying the crest for me!
Best wishes, Jo.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

You're very welcome Jo. It's a very nice piece of silver and hopefully, someone else will come along and comment on JJ. I can't trace it and it doesn't appear in Douglas Bennett's book either. It does look like the date mark for 1842 rather than 1843 given the shape of the Hibernia and crowned harp marks. Gordon
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jo,

This one has turned into an obsession with me for the last couple of days, but I think I may have found the answer.

I believe the maker is likely to be Joseph Johnson. He is the only candidate that I can find with those initials, and working in that period, with the presumption that 'JJ' was a Dublin maker. Described as a Goldsmith in 1845, a Jeweller in 1847, a Wholesale Jeweller in 1848, a Designer of the medal for the Royal visit in 1849, and by the 1880's as a Goldsmith, Jeweller, and Diamond Setter.

Joseph Johnson was located at 23, Wellington Quay in 1845, and at 22, Suffolk Street by 1854, and removing to 10, Suffolk Street in 1880 following the expiration of the lease of number 22. He stated at the time the lease expired that he had been in business for fifty years. He retired in 1883 and died that same year.

I think it is possible that Joseph may be the brother of Edmund Johnson whose father was recorded as Joseph Johnson (d.1832), but this speculation on my part.

The above is only offered as a possibility, but I think it's looking pretty good so far.

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Excellent sleuthing Trev.

I see Joseph Johnson describes himself as a Silversmith on his marriage certificate in January 1852.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... -1-062.pdf

His father is indeed shown as Joseph Johnson, Silversmith, on the certificate.

Gordon
jojo 1

Post by jojo 1 »

Hello Trev,
My word, well done! I honestly thought I had exhausted all avenues and would never get to the bottom of it!
Please understand that I'm very grateful for the amount of effort you have put into this. I love the challenge of finding the origin, maker etc of silver and it really is quite frustrating when you come up with nothing!!
Thank you too, Gordon, for posting the link and dealing with the crest issue!! What is it about silver that keeps us trawling through websites and reference books?? Thank you both!
Kind regards, Jo.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jo,

It's a pleasure.

Hi Gordon,

Great find with the marriage certificate. Did you notice the name of the second witness? The silversmith William Henry Finlay of College Green.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/IrishRetailers_1.html

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Glad to help Jo and kudos to Trev for tracking down JJ.

I wasn't aware of William Henry Finlay Trev, so well spotted.

Gordon
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I just found another link between Joseph Johnson and Finlay. In 1849 Finlay's premises were noted as being situated at 23, Wellington Quay, the former location of Johnson's shop.

Trev.
scorpio
contributor

Post by scorpio »

Well tracked. Intriguing how one tidbit of information can lead to another.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”