Berry Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vwintermoss

Berry Spoon

Post by vwintermoss »

A berry spoon has been in my family for many years. It seems unusual, being detailed from top to bottom on both sides and is in beautiful condition. The spoon has a gold tint to it - gold leaf? The back has a mermaid silver mark. There are four other marks on it that I cannot make out, except one of which is the number IV. I am unable, or do not understand how to attach an image or I would do so.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Berry Spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

A read of these should help:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is recommended.

Trev.
vwintermoss

Post by vwintermoss »

Thank you for your help! Here are the images - hope this works. Thank you, Valerie

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Valerie,

That's great. From what we can see so far, it's an Irish 18th century spoon. The decoration would have been applied in the mid 19th century, it originally would have been a plain Hanoverian pattern.

If you can post a sharper close-up of the marks, we will hopefully be able to tell you more.

Trev.
vwintermoss

4 hallmarks

Post by vwintermoss »

here are what I can get of the hallmarks - they are hard to photograph!!!!
So far this is really fascinating, I had no idea of the history.
Valerie

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Valerie,

I'm afraid the later decoration appears to have damaged the marks and it is unlikely that a positive identification can be made from the photos.

From left to right, there is the mark of Hibernia, then the crowned harp, next the date letter, and finally the maker's mark. Can you read the letters on the date mark and the maker's mark?

Trev.
vwintermoss

Post by vwintermoss »

I cannot make out any numbers. But what was interesting was when I turned the spoon around, the V became an A - there was a definite line which I didn't see before. It is all so faded. So what you are saying is that the later decoration makes it pretty much impossible to date or even find out who did it.
I presume it isn't worth much, but I think it's beautiful.

Valerie
vwintermoss

Post by vwintermoss »

If it helps, the maker's mark is AK - Valerie
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The records of the Dublin Assay Office are somewhat incomplete, but two possibilites are Anthony Kavanagh and Arthur Keen.

Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Trev
This spoon has the same mermaid crest as your salt spoon (I think) in another forum.
Regards Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

There are some crucial differences, on this example the mermaid is holding a dagger in her right hand and I'm not sure what in her left, on mine she holds a comb in her right and a mirror in her left.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”