Help with Maker's Mark and Verifying Age for Cordial Goblets

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vvl

Help with Maker's Mark and Verifying Age for Cordial Goblets

Post by vvl »

These small goblets measure about 10.5 mm (4") tall and 4.5mm (1 3/4") wide. From reading on your site, I am assuming they were made in Dublin and are sterling. The year appears to be 1799. I am not able to make out the Maker's Mark whether it reads RJI, RII, RJI; but it looks like the former. They look like very large cordials (are they called cordials?) are in pristine shape with no dings and are extremely heavy -approx. 156 grams each.

Because of their pristine condition I was wondering if these could really be from 1799 - or are they reproductions? They came in a beautiful box from the Georg Jensen store on Madison Ave. NY. stamped Royal Irish. They were purchased from an estate sale of a fairly renowned individual. Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pictures :

Neruda

Post by Neruda »

I'm pretty sure these are 20th century.

The use of celtic letters both for the maker and date letter seems unlikely before.

The form of your goblets hardly looks 18th century.

Jenson in New York was operating in the 1940s - and I've never heard they sold antique silver.

I'm afraid I don't have any reference to 20th century Irish hallmarks after independence, but this is where my intuition leads me!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tardy lists Dublin dates up to 1969 which is a lower case "b". Apparently your pieces are from 1970. The style is much like that of Australian silversmith Stuart Devlin. Devlin was producing in England in the 60's and 70's and his designs were very well received. It makes sense that others would have produced similar works at the time.
As far as I know, Jensen did not retail antique merchandise, but they were known to have retailed items by other makers.
Regards, Tom
vvl

Could it stand for Royal Jewellers of Ireland?

Post by vvl »

Thank you for the leads.

I looked at some of the Stuart Devlin pieces and they certainly have a simililarity in the workmanship! What confused us was the year mark that is depicted as a C and the shield looks like the one used for 1799..... The other thing that is confusing is the maker's mark of RJI (?)

Stuart Devlin seems to sign his pieces SD. I am wondering if the letters are RJI- could it stand for Retail Jewellers of Ireland? (I saw this when I did a search for RJI on the internet but I can't find any specific silver pieces made by or for them).
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

The initials on the close up of the mark look like Rn not RJI.
Best wishes, MIke.
dmay

Post by dmay »

Royal Irish is a crystal company, whose inventory includes goblets, so it is probable that the goblets did not start their life in that particular box.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”