What is datе?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Elena Russ

What is datе?

Post by Elena Russ »

Hi! I am sure that my saltcellars are from Dublin, and to all appearance it was stamped in 1810 year. But why does the cartouche have the rounded contour, and it is not such as on the plate:
http://www.925-1000.com/dlc_dublin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

There were two date letter punches used by the Dublin Assay Office in 1810. The most commonly seen is the one with the engrailed top, as seen in the Dublin date letter chart. An alternative mark used in that year was with a flat topped shield with hollow corners.

Although your mark appears to be circular, I can only think that this apparent difference in shape is the result of finishing that would have been done after the assay had taken place. Items that were sent for assay to the British assay offices had to be in as near as possible finished state, but still much work would be required to bring any piece up to point where it could be offered for sale. The polishing, engraving etc.that would applied to an item after the assay had been performed, can alter the mark quite drastically.

The maker is James Scott, he registered with the Dublin Company in 1800 and was working for the period 1809-1820 from workshops at 13, Trinity Place, Dublin.

Trev.
Elena Russ

Post by Elena Russ »

dognose wrote: There were two date letter punches used by the Dublin Assay Office in 1810. The most commonly seen is the one with the engrailed top, as seen in the Dublin date letter chart. An alternative mark used in that year was with a flat topped shield with hollow corners.
Trev.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. And how can I find out the information about others date letter in a case like that.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Here are a couple of images that show the difference in the 1810 cartouches.

The engrailed top version.

The flat top with hollow corners version.

Trev.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”