Wine label - CS over 18 mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
winelabel12

Wine label - CS over 18 mark

Post by winelabel12 »

Hello,
I would be most grateful for thoughts on the marks on this very Irish looking wine label of c1800. The indifferent strikes and number of marks do not suggest they were applied by a trained silversmith although the quality and workmanship of the label is good. I wonder if anyone has views on whether these CS / 18 (it looks to be 18 rather than IB) may be Irish marks — as I say, this is a typically Irish looking label. If so whether they might be a retailer's mark. I show below the label and the marks:

I should mention that it has been suggested these might be a Maltese silversmith’s mark, but Maltese marks would be expected to show a full date eg 1815.
Any suggestions and comments much appreciated. Best regards, Bruce
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi,

You have probably already read this, but for the benefit of others I will quote a relevant passage from page 274 of Wine Labels 1730-2003 describing figure 915 which is almost identical to the label pictured above.

Miles
Another label with a political charge shows the Prince of Wales' feathers emerging from an "Irish" crown. Some bear the harped crown and Hibernia of 1787-92, the makers being George Nangle, B. Taitt, S. Law and John Teare. It seems very likely this label had its origins in the attempt in the Irish Houses of Parliament in February 1789 to have the Prince of Wales assume the regency of Ireland.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”