Dublin [?] Makers Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
artaurora

Dublin [?] Makers Mark

Post by artaurora »

I have a small square tray with hall marks indicating it may have been made in Dublin in 1728 or 1729 [if I am reading correctly & using this site correctly as well...] but I am lost regarding the other marks.

Have I made a correct determination of date and origin?
Might some one be able to identify the maker or anything else of interest?
Any idea what style this is done in and what the use might have been?

The top view shows a very faint design - so faint that it is almost not there.
Is this from repeated polishing?
The tray is 6 inches square, .812 inch high & weighs 8.2 troy ounces.

Thanks for looking...
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

1728 is the correct date - there is no Hibernia mark you see. If it had been the later date then Hibernia would also have been present. Maker is Thomas Bolton (see Jacksons edition 3 page 629).

Waylander
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

What I forgot to say is that Dublin is correct as the Assay town, and the markings on the top seem to be a (very well known) heraldic crest

Waylander
artaurora

Dublin [?] Makers Mark

Post by artaurora »

Thanks Waylander! I do appreciate the confirmation and additional info. As a newbie to old silver I don't have any other reference sources for further study. Is there anything you would recommend I [buy or borrow to] read to gain more information about this piece & Thomas Bolton?
What is the "10:18" marking all about?
Thankyou very much, again...Artaurora
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Try contacting the Dublin Assay Office - they may be able to provide more information. I can provide a little; Thomas Bolton was "freed" from his apprenticeship in 1686. He died in 1736,. The 10:18 marking is baffling.

Waylander
artaurora

Dublin [?] Makers Mark

Post by artaurora »

Waylander: Many Thanks Again!!!
I will post anything further I uncover...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

(This reply is by member - Shlossy. Moved from a duplicate posting of the same topic)

The date is correct as 1728 and the harp is the Dublin Assay office mark.
The B is the mark of the maker, though I do not have a copy of Bennett to hand to identify him.
The figures 10.18 are the 'scratch weight' of the item. This was applied at the time of manufacture and represents 10oz and 18 pennyweights - the weight of the salver, in troy ounces, when it was finished.
The item itself is a very nice early square salver - typical of the period.
The engraving is rococo in style but has, unfortunately, been almost rubbed away by the repeated polishing of the piece.
Hope this helps.
artaurora

Dublin [?] Makers Mark

Post by artaurora »

Thanks so much for the additional info.
I had wondered if 10:18 related to the weight but at 263.4 gms [8.23 troy ounces] there was too much difference to seem reasonable.
Do you suppose the extra weight was polished off? [How many pennyweights in a troy ounce?] It doesn't seem like anything is or could be missing?
Mystery...?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Aurora,

20 pennyweights in a troy ounce. I think it is near impossible that 2 troy oz. could have been polished off. It is hard to tell from your views, but I'm wondering if the feet might have been more extensive. Either that, or Thomas Bolton had his thumb on the scale at payment time.

Tom
dmay

Post by dmay »

Given that it is rubbed away, it is somewhat difficult to tell, but I think that the engraving may be a later addition. It is not quite in keeping with the lines or the quality of the piece. That might be the reason for the 10-18, which could be when the piece was engraved.
catman

Post by catman »

Just food for thought but 10.18 parts silver and .82 parts alloy would be approximately .925 purity.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”