Bagpipe Silver - Edinburgh, Maker and Year

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JFrank

Bagpipe Silver - Edinburgh, Maker and Year

Post by JFrank »

On a set of 1850-1900 bagpipes I have only one hallmark. It is placed on one of the ringscaps. I suspect, however, that this particular piece was replaced.

The hallmarks are minute.

Description
Clear is the city mark of Edinburgh and also the maker's initials "TB".

Questions
1) One problem is the maker which, for Edinburgh hallmarks, I have been unable to identify so far.

2) The other problem is the year. The stamp to the left of the city could either be the thistle (pre 1975) or the Lion Rampant (from 1975 on). It is hard to decide between either of the two.

Possible Solutions
To me the mark to the left looks rather like the capital script P employed in the year date of eg. 1846. The stamp to the right is equally difficult to work out. Could this be the victorian duty mark that was set in the very year 1846?

I am very sceptical about this. Also due to the shape of the shields and the minute size. Can this piece be clearly identified to be of more recent origin?

Maybe the maker's gives the solution in this intricate question of tiny marks which I can get not better reproduction of.

Every help und suggestion will be very much appreciated.
Margaux
contributor

Post by Margaux »

I can't help you on the makers mark. But I think the second mark is a lion rampant and the last mark is a Q from 1990.
JFrank

Post by JFrank »

Thank you very much for your valued estimation!

Cheers,

Frank

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”