Scottish Dirk Maker DW

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ohneplo

Scottish Dirk Maker DW

Post by Ohneplo »

I would deeply appreciate help identifying the maker of this 1926 silver mounted Dirk supplied through R.W. Forsyth clothiers. Front shield is engraved for F.G.M. Happy to post other photos if these wll help without taking up too much bandwidth. Thanks in advance,
CAPT Bruce

Image[/img]
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Although I don't know the maker (makers mark DW? .. 1925), I think this is a very nice piece.
Could you confirm that the handles have hairwork on them? And what is a "dirk"?
Ohneplo

Post by Ohneplo »

Good evening Doos,
A Dirk is the centuries old working and combat knife carried by a Scotsman. They were taken worldwide as worn by Officers and Pipers of the Highland Regiments and became something of an art form when Queen Victoria popularized the Highlands and the idealized way of life.

Some carry specific designs from those Regiments and others like this one were civilian accessories for full formal Highland attire. Quite often the Dirk is a family heirloom so they seldom come on the market.

The bogwood or ebony handle is carved in a traditional rope work and basket weave pattern that evolved from a deeply carved hand-grip meant to prevent it from slipping away in the heat of combat. They will be seen both with and without the bye knife and fork mounted on the sheath. Hope this gives you a brief primer and let me know if you'd like more detailed photos.
Fair winds,
CAPT Bruce
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Dirk:

"Dirk is a Scots word for a long dagger; sometimes a cut-down sword blade mounted on a dagger hilt, rather than a knife blade.

In medieval Scotland, the dirk was a backup to the broadsword, and was wielded by the left hand while the scabbard was carried on the arm. Dirks were used to swear an oath upon in Celtic cultures. After the Battle of Culloden, the British government troops were aware that the Highlanders normally swore on their dirks, so, to prevent future uprisings or rebellions against the throne, they made them swear on oath never to "possess any gun, sword, or pistol, or to use tartan: "... and if I do so may I be cursed in my undertakings, family and property, may I be killed in battle as a coward, and lie without burial in a strange land, far from the graves of my forefathers and kindred; may all this come across me if I break my oath." Nearly every Scottish male at the time of the oath had a dirk. This was because most Scots were too poor to buy a sword. The dirk was small and was carried everywhere the owner went. The dirk was worn in plain view suspended from a belt at the waist.

In addition to these traditional weapons, other styles of dirk were worn by European and American forces on land and sea. Easier to carry than swords, dirks gained favor as lighter side arms among many military and naval officers during the 17th through 19th centuries. In some navies, they continued to be worn by midshipmen and cadets well into the 20th century. Numerous examples of naval dirks have survived from the earlier age of sail, some with histories of use during naval engagements. Most naval dirks were worn primarily on dress occasions, however, and consequently although attractive many were not designed for use in battle.

Naval and other dirks were commonly made with either double-edged or single-edged blades, and there was no standard blade configuration. Reference books covering naval dirks invariably show the popularity of both blade types. As a consequence, historically there were about as many naval dirks mounting single-edged blades as those with double-edged blades. Some dirks have single-edged blades that also have a false edge near the tip, a feature that could be useful in a backcut."

Cite: Wikipedia

Waylander
Ohneplo

Post by Ohneplo »

A few more views to help you appreciate this Smith's fine craftsmanship.

CAPT Bruce
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

An execellent piece, although it looks quite ceremonial to me. The quality of the silversmith's work is exceptional though.

Waylander
Last edited by Waylander on Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ohneplo

Post by Ohneplo »

I could not agree with you more Waylander. Exceptional craftsmanship in sterling and that is why I hope to learn who the maker DW was if possible rather than simply knowing this was provided through a Highland Attire outfitter. I appreciate the number of Forum readers who have viewed this post and I hope someone may be able to assist.
Thanks again,
Bruce

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”