Who is the maker and who is AL on these Glasgow tongs?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lindmcc

Who is the maker and who is AL on these Glasgow tongs?

Post by lindmcc »

These sugar tongs were made in Glasgow in 1845. I have not been able to identify the initials AL. I am not sure that AL was the original maker though as these initials appear to have been stamped over a previous mark. It seems that the original stamp was roughlly filled or patched before the AL mark was applied. I am attempting with difficulty to identify the original mark with the use of a magnifying glass as there are traces of the first stamp within the rectangle of this one. If I can identify AL it may make it easier to identify the first mark.

Linda
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I belive that's the mark of Alexander Lucas.

Regards,
Pat.
lindmcc

Post by lindmcc »

I have seen the mark of Alexander Lucas in Jackson's. The letters are of a different font and the dot in the middle is half way up the letters. Can you tell me please if you have seen it elsewhere as it appears on these tongs?
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Before I understood the importance of keeping good notes and records I made a note about this mark and kept a picture. The mark is identical to yours. I also wrote down the name of discussion forum where I found it. Went back there but can't find the old thread.
I don't usually make a note unless I'm convinced their references are good. Problem is, I neglected to write the reference down and have long since forgotten it. Sorry, I could not help more.

Pat.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”