MWH or HMW Egypt?

Post by Aguest »

Extremely Tiny Hallmarks.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: MWH or HMW Egypt?

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

It's difficult without a clearer image of the marks, but to me that looks like an Edinburgh set, with the maker being Michael Wallis Hurst.

Can you see if the marks will clean up any further, try again with the mark image?

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Yes I believe you are correct, thank you, I was so far off on this one once agaiN ::: There is a reference to another Tea Caddy spoon, but no picture, but the makers mark is so similar it has to be Michael Wallace HursT ::: The main issue is that the three accompanying hallmarks are so difficult to read, but they are most likely modern Edinburgh Scotland hallmarks, but they are so small it is really difficult, these are the smallest marks on any piece of English silver that I have ever seen.

I am just so used to seeing the lion passant, and somehow they looked more like Egyptian marks to me :)
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The first hallmark is the lion, rearing on two legs ::: The second hallmark is the castle image, although worn in this example --- The Third hallmark is the "X" and it stands for the year 1997 ... Probably bought as a souvenir from a trip to Scotland, although technically this would be a Tea Caddy Spoon, and the literature references on example of a Tea Caddy Spoon by this maker, although it does not show a picture.

Still a nice spoon!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The name is Michael Wallis Hurst, not Wallace.
Celtic Shield Knot pattern in the spoon appeared on shields, a symbol of protection. The shield knot is also believed to ward off illness and bad omens. The strands evoke the image of a strong, unbreakable chain.

Cheers
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Thank You very much, apologies to the maker for my spelling error.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”