Assayed at Edinburgh in 1812, the maker's mark is JW above WH:

JW-WH - Edinburgh - 1812

Any thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
techsol
contributor

Re: JW above WH - Mystery Maker

Post by techsol »

Just a thought Trev, the WH could possibly be for William Hannay who's mark has been seen with that of J W Howden (JWH). In this case the H is absent, maybe a spurious link but just a thought.

Martin.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Martin,

I think you're on to something there. There does appear to be part of the serif of a possible 'H' showing in the top right hand corner of the mark.

The spoons are not mine, but I'll enquire to see if all the marks are exactly the same.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Here's the images taken from all of the spoons:

Interesting to note that the thistle and dateletter have been struck using a two-punch stub, whilst the Duty mark appears to have been punched independently.

Trev.
techsol
contributor

Post by techsol »

Hi Trev,

I have been looking around and have seen some examples were the Hannay and Howden marks have been struck separately. However I have found no example with a single punch containing both makers initials. Hopefully somebody else may be able to cast further light on this mark.

Regards
Martin
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for researching this mark. An enquiry to the EAO reveals that there were no partnerships listed of JW-WH submitting work for this year. They mentioned that from the absence of the castle mark on the hallmark, that this may indicate that this was a provincial partnership having work marked in Edinburgh, but they cannot definite on this count. They believe that provincial makers may have been recorded in a separate register from the main duty book, but if this is the case, this provincial register has not survived, apart from a brief excerpt from the 1830’s.

The search continues.

Trev.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”