Marked Scotland Dagger - Is it Plate, Sterling or Other?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item

Marked Scotland Dagger - Is it Plate, Sterling or Other?

Post by Guest »

Any advice is greatly appreciated! The marks on this Dagger seem like they should be something (probably a warning that they are not) and I didn't see any matches on the British page? Is this mystery dagger sterling, plate or pot metal? I'm tearing out my hair over this one; can't even figure out the date!
Best wishes for a splendid Spring,
Betsy

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

I can't see a pic on your post. Is it just me or is there not one there please?

Post by Guest »

There are 2 - hosted @ photobucket and they show up when I check the post. Don't know what's going on??? The urls for the are http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/ ... dagger.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e126/ ... ermark.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for letting me know there is a problem!
Betsy
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Your marks are not the official hallmarks for Scotland - so almost certainly your dagger is silver-plate. And generally silverplate marks do not indicate date.

But rather nice all the same!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure, the marks are none to clear, but I think they may be for Glasgow sterling 1957. Need a reality check on this, anyone else read them this way?

Regards, Tom
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

On second thoughts, Admin may well be right. My first assumption was the last mark was a number "1" - but it could be the Gaelic-style "I" used in that cycle.
If so, you should see first mark, a tree with a fish accross it; second mark, a lion rampant; and third mark a thistle. The worn mark "R" on the far left would be the maker.
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

I think the maker is Robert Allison, definitely Glasgow 1957, with the tree, lion rampant, thistle and date letter, Gaelic I

Richard
lily1938

Post by lily1938 »

Hi,

Looks very much Like a Robert Allison piece, mid20thC Celtic Revivalist & most likely to be Silver Glasgow hallmark.

Regards,
Lily

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”