TT Maker Edinburgh Teaspoon 1808-09

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

TT Maker Edinburgh Teaspoon 1808-09

Post by SilverSurfer »

Here is the overall pic of a 13.6 cm long, 11 gram weight Old English Pattern teaspoon:

The maker's mark is "TT", which I cannot identify:

Here is the engraved crest, which I believe is of the Acheson (Aitchison) Family:

I have another spoon by this same maker, a wrigglework shouldered Old English Pattern teaspoon, but only marked "TT" and lion passant. Might someone be able to identify this mark/maker? The only similar "TT" I see is a Thomas Tudor of Dublin, c.1797. Thanks for any info!

SS
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Not a maker I have come across but could be a provincial Scottish maker as your mark is Scottish but not necessarily Edinburgh. The Edinburgh town mark is absent. Best wishes, Mike.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thanks, you're right, of course, not necessarily Edinburgh, but likely Scottish. Which makes it strange that the other spoon has apparently the same maker's mark with only a lion passant, an English sterling hallmark. This fellow seems to have gotten around. Here is a pic of the other spoon's marks:

SS
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Hard to make out the markings other than the lion. Is it possible you could post a clearer picture or send me one by E-mail please? and will try to identify for you. Best wishes, Mike.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thanks for your interest and response, but I have no digital camera with macro, only a flatbed scanner, and so as yet I can't provide a better photo of the maker's mark. I'll have to see what I can do.

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Okay, here's another view of the English mark, taken through a magnifying glass. May not be much better than the first one. It's not the same mark as the Scottish TT. The English mark has a pellet between the letters, as well as some other, more subtle, differences.

So I guess there are two unknown TTs running around. I wonder whether they knew at the time the difficulties they would leave behind them.

SS
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

I am really struggling with this one. As you probably have gathered I no longer have my reference books so it makes life difficult as my age grows and memories fade. There was a Thomas Tearle who was assayed in London in the early part of the 18th century but I think his mark was upper case italics TT with a crown above. There is in my memory a Thomas Tallor or Tallar, also working in England but I can't remember where. However I will try a little research. Best wishes, Mike.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Jacksons might help a bit - he identifies a T.T mark to Thomas Towman (London mark entered 1753). The mark is an odd shape - not a square, kind of like a B on its side....Jacksons page 203 for reference.

Waylander
carlislepaul
contributor

Edinburgh maker TT

Post by carlislepaul »

I want to re-open this enquiry as I have just acquired a teaspoon by TT with the Edinburgh date mark for 1806/7. (Photo above) The spoon that started this posting is Edinburgh 1808/9 and at http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the identical mark is given as unknown Edinburgh 1806/7. Dietert in his compendium lists a meat skewer TT Edinburgh 1807/8 as owned by a collector in St Louis.

We should be able to identify him but neither the Assay Office nor Dieterts Edinburgh Goldsmiths lists TT. I was going to visit Edinburgh library to examine the trade directories but Dietert shows tham as works consulted, so a dead end.

Some lateral thinking. On this websites Indian Colonial page it records Thomas Thompson as arriving in Calcutta in 1808 to join John Hunt & Co. If this was in fact a Thomson (Scottish spelling) there are 18 Edinburgh silversmiths with this family name. Does anybody have access to colonial silver reference books to check the spelling and any other information on Calcutta. Also a search for a TT anywhere in the world for this period who could be traced back to Scotland

Regards

Paul
SilverSurfer
contributor

Checking back in ...

Post by SilverSurfer »

Hi, all, checking back in after having been away for a time, and see this old thread of mine has been brought back from the dead (how appropriate to discover this on Halloween!). During a clean-up some time ago, I eliminated some of the original pics posted here, which I have just restored. Thanks to any and all still researching these mysterious TTs.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”