Enormous silver basting spoon - possibly early Scottish

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Enormous silver basting spoon - possibly early Scottish

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All - Would appreciate any further input on this large silver basting spoon - 37cm long- in the Hannoverian pattern with some very worn marks. There is an engraving A above Mk (I think) and the year 1737. The maker's mark is clear WA in a wavy edged cartouche. The second mark could be anything. The third mark is very rubbed but is a set of initials in a rectangular cartouche. I think I might be able to see the bottom of AU for Edinburgh assayer Archibald Ure (although this could be wishful thinking), and the fourth mark could be anything. My copy of Jacksons suggests the silversmith might be William Aytoun, mark registered in 1718 but noted on a tablespoon for 1729 and again in 1741. Hoping someone could confirm - of course I could be miles off the beaten track - many thanks Frank

first mark - closest to the drop - makers mark WA
Second mark - rubbed
third mark - possibly assayer's mark
fourth mark - rubbed
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Enormous silver basting spoon - possibly early Scottish

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

That 'WA' with the little dink on the top identifies the important silversmith William Aytoun. He was born in 1691 and his working period was 1718-1754. He was apprenticed to William Ged in 1706 and was grated his Freedom in 1718. William Aytoun was Deacon of the Incorporation of Edinburgh Goldsmiths for 1724-1726, and again for 1730-1732. He died on the 12th October 1754.

Regards, Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Thanks Trev - Thanks for confirmation and as always appreciate the info
Regards Frank

PS An unusual name, curious about pronunciation - ayeton? eyeton? aytown?
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

The pronounciation of the surname Aytoun may vary depending on where you may be located in Scotland.

However I would imagine it would be pronounced ai-toon

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”