Tandem Makers Mark Information/Help Needed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rhodrit
contributor

Tandem Makers Mark Information/Help Needed

Post by rhodrit »

Hi all, i'm new to the forum.
Wondering if i could get some help with a spoon i have with tandem makers marks.

ADMIN EDIT

Tandem makers marks are new to me but from reading other posts on the forum I think i gather they are similar to overstruck marks, am i correct? I know the date is 1819 and the one mark (JWH) is for J.W.Howden & CO. An edinburgh makers mark website suggests the WH may be attributed to William Henderson. The same website suggests that JWH and WH are seen together on other pieces so does the tandem mark have anything to do with a relationship between the two? A guess but maybe one a retailer, one manufacturer? Any help or information would be great on the tandem mark or makers,
Thanks and great to be here,
Rhodri
Granmaa
co-admin

Re: Tandem Makers Mark Information/Help Needed

Post by Granmaa »

I think the JWH mark is more likely the mark of Joseph Walker Hinchliffe of Dumfries. You're probably right in that he was retailing Henderson's wares.

Miles
rhodrit
contributor

Post by rhodrit »

Thats great miles thanks for the info. Going to see if i can find some examples of Hinchliffe's mark to compare!
rhodrit
contributor

Post by rhodrit »

I've done a bit more researching and found some interesting stuff which I thought I would share (Don't like to feel i'm just taking all the time : ) ! )
I looked into hincliffe but the edinburgh assay office suggested his marked was registered a bit later than the hallmark so looked for more info and think the original thought of J.W. Howden looks likely. Two parts of the Howden family were working in the area Francis Howden the silversmith and James Howden the watch maker. The biographer on the edinburgh assay office suggests Francis' son John and James' son William made up J.W.Howden however I found another source which certainly suggests another possibility which I must admit I personally think to be likely. That the J Howden in J.W.Howden was not William's cousin but his sibling James. The book Old Scottish Clockmakers (John Smith) reproduces serveral articles/notices from local newspapers of the time such as the Edinburgh Courant.
The book states

"Probably there was not a better known business in
Edinburgh at the beginning of the nineteenth century
than that of James Howden, Hunter Square, and the
following advertisements are only a few of the many
that appeared in the local newspapers, 1 but they convey
the popularity of the firm and the changes that occurred
during his business career"

The articles suggest a timeline of the company. Originally owned by James howden until it was announced "that the shop
occupied by him since that time has been possessed by his sons James and William Howden, the former as
watchmaker, the latter as jeweller "and silversmith."

Another announcement:
"James Howden, watchmaker, and William Howden, jeweller and silversmith, 3 Hunter Square, respectfully
beg leave to announce that their stock of watches and jewellery and silver plate, cutlery, etc., is now complete ;
and as their stock of the above and every article connected with the line of business will be found at all
times various and extensive and of the best quality, they hope by an unremitting superintendence to every
particular of their concerns to merit a share of the public favour." Edinburgh Evening Courant, 1 8th March 1809.

This reinforces my thought they were retailers bringing about the tandem mark and question in the first place.
Serveral announcements in local papers show the moving of premises the brothers undertook until William's death and James Howden went into business with his former assistant William Brown forming James Howden and company. Also interestingly J.H & co mark is also seen in Tandem with Elder & co. William Howden and Adam Elder both were apprenticed to James McKay(ii) which may be coincidence but it would be a perfect opportunity for a relationship between the Howden's and Elder's to be formed later in time. Hope I haven't bored You all and hopefully you found it interesting as me,
Rhodri
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Rhodri,

Many thanks for taking the time to share this information, it's very interesting and much appreciated.

Regards, Trev.
rhodrit
contributor

Post by rhodrit »

Glad you found it interesting,
heres an example on a spoon i own of tandem marks of James Howden & co and Elder & co I described above

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... tandem.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

Rhodri

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”