Silverplate or ??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lindacomox

Silverplate or ??

Post by lindacomox »

I have a demitasse spoon, measures 3-3/4" long, design of a thistle on end of handle. The hallmarks are in the front side of the bowl of the spoon, very hard to photo. Long story short, I don't know origin, maker, date or even if it's silverplate. Would appreciate any help given. Thanks.

Front of spoon:

Back of spoon:

Hallmark:
oel
co-admin

Re: Silverplate or ??

Post by oel »

Hi

Edinburgh silver.
PD above AC maker’s mark for; Isle of Mull Silver Co (Philip D A Campbell), dates seen 1972…..1994. Location; Tobermory, Isle of Mull.
The date letter Q could be for 1971. I have some problems with the first mark, after the maker’s, could this be an Isle of Mull variant of the thistle denoting Sterling standard? Let us wait for others to reply.

Oel
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Just to add to Oel's attribution, the date is 1990. The mark that is difficult to make out is a Lion Rampant, the thistle was dropped in favour of of the lion following the passing of the 1973 Hallmarking Act.

Isle of Mull Silver & Goldsmiths first registered at Edinburgh in 1976, and are still in business.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Trev.
And because it is much easier to find date letter charts up till 1930 herewith a date letter chart for Edinburgh up till the Hallmarking Act of 1973 and the current date letter chart for the U.K with the Q for 1990. Also an image of the Edinburgh lion rampant I certainly have to use my imagination to recognize this hallmark on the spoon.

Oel
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Indeed, if you were not already aware, it would be hard to imagine that mark as the Lion Rampant, but if you match up the extreme points remaining on the worn mark and then compare then with the drawn image, they will match up (just!)

Trev.
lindacomox

Post by lindacomox »

Thanks much for all the help and info. Was hoping for a little older than 22 yrs. I'm gathering from the info that it is Sterling and not Silverplate. Am I correct in my assumption?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Yes, it's Sterling standard (925/1000).

Trev.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”