Help identify maker of Scottish teaspoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help identify maker of Scottish teaspoons

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All - any help identifying the maker and period of these four large teaspoons would be appreciated. The spoons are 14m long - of good weight and had a lions face crest which I have included a picture of. Stamped with just three marks. maker A*G which I can find no reference of in Jacksons, a slightly lobsided thistle, so assuming Edinburgh, and a George 111 duty mark, so presume post 1786, but would guess they are still 18th century. Is there a chance these could be Indian colonial or from Nova Scotia? - any help appreciated. - Regards Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help identify maker of Scottish teaspoons

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

Alexander Gairdiner (Gardiner) of Edinburgh.

Regards Trev.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Thanks Trev - much appreciated - assume c1800 would be correct? - Frank
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Frank,

The Incorporation of Goldsmiths of the City of Edinburgh website has four different spellings of his name, but they all look likely to be the same man. If so, then he was apprenticed to William Aytoun on the 23rd May 1744. Became Freeman 19th Novevember 1754, and was appointed Assaymaster to the Mint 1767. Elected to the role of Deacon 1772-74. He was burried at Greyfriers Cemetry on the 14th April 1803.

Regards Trev.
Jag
contributor

What about the lion?

Post by Jag »

I have a pair of slightly older Scottish spoons. They are the only Scottish spoons I have, and also the only spoons I have that have a pictorial engraving on them, rather than initials. I can't remember what the engraving on mine is, though it isn't a lion. As I recall it looks a bit like a coat of arms.

Is this a Scottish thing? What is the meaning of the lion?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jag,

The lion is a popular beast used in heraldry and the crest taken from a Coat of Arms was often engraved onto the family silver. Front-facing lion's heads are somewhat unusual, but in this case it may identify the families of Cambell or Dundass.

Trev.

Return to “Scottish Hallmarks”