Help identifying maker's mark and date of napkin ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dinkum1017

Help identifying maker's mark and date of napkin ring

Post by dinkum1017 »

Gooday again.

I am trying to identify the maker's marks and date of the napkin ring in the attached photos. I believe it might be 1932. It is an "r" but it appears to have a line through it which makes it look like an "x," but that's not possible (right)? The maker's marks are SD above LD. Any help is appreciated.

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

It looks like the 1915 x; why don't you think that's possible?
I've seen the maker's mark attributed to Stewart Dawson Ltd.

Miles
dinkum1017

Post by dinkum1017 »

Thanks Miles. Neither the reference of London Hallmarks on this website nor my Miller's book show an "x". I am incorrect in thinking it's attributed to London? Both the book and this website for London date letters end at "U." Am I looking in the wrong area? Thanks for everything.

Michelle
dinkum1017

Post by dinkum1017 »

Miles:

I'm thinking that you may not think it's attributable to the London Assay Office. I'm learning as I go along. I found the following:

The date letter. Each year, which runs from May till April, is allocated a different letter. A cycle of 20 letters is used (omitting J, V, W, X, Y, and Z) so there are five cycles in a century. Each cycle has its own style of letter and/or its uniquely shaped shield. The original purpose of this letter was not to record the year in which the piece was assayed, but to identify the Assay Master (who was appointed annually in May) so that he could be called to account if he passed lower grade silver as sterling. To be pedantically correct, the date of silver should include two years, for example 1783-4, but in practice we usually use only the first of the years that the letter spanned, e.g., 1783.

I'm back wondering what the letter date is for this piece. Thanks for your assistance.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

The crown mark on your napking ring is for Sheffield, London uses a leopard's head.

Just for my own interest, where did you find that quote?

Miles
dinkum1017

Post by dinkum1017 »

Miles

Thanks for your input. I mistook the mark as the leopard's head. It's rubbed out and difficult to see. Based on the "x" for 1915 I'm in agreement with you.

Thanks again,

Michelle

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”