Confused, Need Help! :0)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SusanWhite

Confused, Need Help! :0)

Post by SusanWhite »

Hello, Everyone!

We have what is supposed to be a baby/child's dinner set -- fork, spoon, napkin ring in what appears to be an original case.

All 3 pieces have different date stamps and we're having trouble matching them to the date stamps on the Sheffield date page.

If we're even close on reading the date stamps correctly, the making of this "set" would span 13 years .. which may be accurate because there are 2 different maker's marks. Which is weird considering it is supposed to be for a baby/child ... by the time it was finished, well .. you know what I mean.

So my 2 burning questions are ... is it really a set? And what are the accurate dates for it?

Any help you all have would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Susan

The set:

The napkin mark:

The fork mark:

The spoon mark:
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Susan,

You have a pretty big collection!

Napkin=1904
Fork=1893
Spoon=1896
All by Harry Atkin

I've seen these sets vary in dates before by as much as nine years, so yours is a new record for me. One theory is that the retailer/jeweller had some stock which just wasn't selling, and so decided to lump some pieces together in a nice new box and rebrand it as a christening set.

Miles
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Sorry Susan, I now see you said that there are two maker's marks. I think it's more likely that the original napkin ring was lost after purchase, and someone replaced it with this.
That also explains the unusually wide date range: the original may have been much closer to the other two pieces.

Miles
SusanWhite

Thank you! :0)

Post by SusanWhite »

Hi, Miles!

Thanks for the information!!

You know, the spoon's date stamp really confused us ... it looks almost like an apple with 2 little leaves at the top. I guess the variations still trip me up and we didn't recognize it as the "d" for 1896....

Anyway, thanks for the info and the explanation, it helps a lot!!

Sincerely,
Susan
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Just a bit more infomation,. The pattern is called Albany.

Paul
SusanWhite

Thank you! :0)

Post by SusanWhite »

Dear Paul,

It's awesome to know the pattern name ... thanks for the extra information!

Sincerely,
Susan

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”