Help with Sheffield maker's mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SusanWhite

Help with Sheffield maker's mark

Post by SusanWhite »

Hello!

We've got some kind of spoon with a maker's mark we can't identify. There's a second name on the spoon H. Wells, along with the word Shrewsbury, which we're pretty sure is a town in England. The maker's mark looks like either T H B ... T W B or possibly T N B.

We think the date is 1898 so if anyone has any ideas about who this maker is [and if we're correct about the date], please let us know....

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Sincerely,
Susan

nigel le sueur
contributor

Post by nigel le sueur »

lf it is THB then the makers name is T H Blake, looking at the date mark it looks like the 1923 date mark

Nigel
larkfield
contributor

Post by larkfield »

I believe you are correct with the 1898 date for the spoon
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Susan,

This is a jam spoon; the flat bottom helps it slide off onto your toast.
Shrewsbury is a town very near the Welsh border; Charles Darwin was born there I believe.

Miles
SusanWhite

Many thanks! :0)

Post by SusanWhite »

Dear Nigel, Larkfield and Miles,

Thanks so much for the input!

Nigel, the Sheffield Hallmarks page doesn't go up to 1923, so we don't know what that stamp looks like. Among the letters given for Sheffield, it looks very close to the 1898 stamp. Comparing the "H" in Shrewsbury to the stamp, we're pretty sure that it is T H B ... do you know approximately when TH Blake was in operation? Thank you again, for your help!

Thanks also to you, Larkfield [especially for agreeing with us!!] ;0)

Miles, you are so deeply appreciated, thank you for your generous help! We looked up the Latin motto on the front of the spoon and it actually came up in Wikipedia! It says "Floreat Salopia," which means "May Shropshire Flourish." I didn't realize Darwin was born near there, that's a nice bit of history!

Well, the quest for knowledge continues and we're so very grateful for everyone's help with it!

Sincerely,
Susan
oldbiscuit

Post by oldbiscuit »

Susan, I must agree that the maker is T H Blake, and the year 1898-99, which is the correct period.
SusanWhite

Thank you! :0)

Post by SusanWhite »

Dear Oldbiscuit,

Thank you for sharing this information and for verifying the date, it is very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Susan

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”