set of knives

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
FM

set of knives

Post by FM »

Hello,
The identification of silver is completely new to me, and as you can see I am also new to this site. I recently bought a set of silver knives. It came in a box which says: Watchmakers to the admiralty/ EST 1870/ Grant & Son/ South shields North shields/ Jarrow on Tyne. Carlisle
I would now like to know if the hallmarks stamped in the knives are indeed related to this company.
So here are some pictures of the hallmarks and the knives in total. I also made a little sketch, because I have trouble getting really clear pictures.

So basically I would like to find out if the box the knives came in is original. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly apreciated.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi, It is a little difficult to be certain, but it would appear from your drawing that the hallmark is Sheffield 1906, so date wise it would be OK for your box, sorry I cannot help with the maker but I'm sure someone else can,
regards Trev.
FM

Post by FM »

Thanks for your reply, any help is apreciated, so thanks for the city and date. I'll just wait to see if others can help me with the maker.
Thanks!
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

The Sheffield Assay Office Register assigns this mark to William Beatson & Sons, one of whom was Charles Beatson.

Their address was 156 Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield.

The name in lid of the box is most likely to refer to the retailer.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
FM

Post by FM »

That certainly does help, so thanks for the help.
I also have a little update, I only just noticed that one of the knives has a different date letter stamped in it, which refers to 1904. So five are from 1906 and one from 1904. Just thought it would be nice to know.
Thanks paulh and dognose for the help,
regards,
Freek

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”